Thursday, February 25, 2010

Life in the Great State of Texas

Photo:  The day after our snow storm, my oldest son stands with the remains of his snowman.

There's nothing like Texas weather.  The famous saying is ... "If you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait a few hours.  It will change."   Being a native Texan -- only spending a few years out of Texas courtesy of the United States Army -- I can attest to the validity of that.  In Texas, you never pack away a wardrobe.  You're as likely to need shorts and flip-flops in December as any other month.  You only need sweaters a few days of the year and breaking out a heavy coat is an annual event at best.

Besides the weather, there's a specific lingo in Texas that you should know about.  Here are my top five Texas words you need to know:
  1. Ya'll (plural = All Ya'll)
  2. Howdy
  3. Fixin' To
  4. I reckon
  5. Over Yonder
For some more fun Texas Talk:
Enjoy, Ya'll!

2 comments:

  1. This is so stinkin' funny. Apparently, I said "in yonder" so much when my oldest daughter was a tot that she thought it was a room in the house. I will never forget her telling me "Oh, I thought yonder was the living room"

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Paula, that seriously made me laugh out loud. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete

Fabulous Remarks