Skip to main content

Why I Cheered for the Redskins Today

I grew up in north Texas in a family of avid Dallas Cowboys fans.  In fact, to my knowledge, everyone in north Texas was a football fan, and all of them were firmly in the silver-and-blue boat of Cowboys fandom.

I remember watching Sunday afternoon football with my dad and thinking it was every bit as sacred as church services.  Early on, my sisters and I would be bored to tears, not able to watch anything else on television on Sundays ... so we would get paper and pencils and have a contest to see which of us could write the most number/name combinations on both teams before the end of the game.  Anything to pass the interminable time that passed between kick-off and game end.

Later, I grew to enjoy the sport.  I learned the difference between offense and defense, how to tell a fullback from a free safety, and why grown men scream at a TV screen when their team misses a field goal on 3rd and goal.  I  was proud to be a junior high and high school cheerleader who actually understood the game.  We were NOT the squad cheering "DE-FENSE" when our team was 4th and inches from scoring.  We knew our game.

I enjoyed the golden years of Cowboys football ... the NFL championships -- SUPERBOWL WINNERS!! -- of 1993, 1994, and 1996. Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson ... Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, Jim Jeffcoat, Bill Bates, Herschel Walker, Nate Newton, and Jay Novacek.  I even loved the earlier days of Roger Staubach and Tony Dorsett ... ahh!  The joy of watching great football! But my faith would be tested.

The first test of my Cowboy faith came in the summer of 2010, when John Harbaugh, coach of the Baltimore Ravens, spoke at a 1st Cavalry Division event.  He was likable and personable and was very motivational for those of us in his audience ... but it was the fact that he joined us at a piano bar, talking and laughing (and buying rounds of drinks) that made me a true fan.  He personally gave me permission to include the Ravens as a favorite team ... they could be my AFC team and I could still keep the Cowboys as my NFC team.  Done.  I've enjoyed the Ravens ever since.

Still, the Cowboys were my go-to team ... even after seasons of loss, heartbreak, and a few arrests, I had remained faithful.  Then, we moved to Washington DC.  The influence of Redskins fans is powerful and it is easy to get wrapped up in the mania that these fans project; and yet, I remained faithful to my Cowboys.  But then, something happened that absolutely changed everything.

You have to know, first, that I am a Baylor girl.  Raised in Texas, Baptist from birth, and private-university-educated.  I suffered through four very long and very sad losing seasons of Baylor football and have happily cheered them through many other losing games since.  But then, a single player arrived on the scene with enough talent, passion, and leadership to turn it all around.  When Robert Griffin III showed up on campus, he altered our sport-fan universe forever.  He brought pride and joy back to Baylor Football and revolutionized the way Baylor is viewed by the university world.  He was a savior of sorts (though with a little 's') ... and I loved him for it.

So then ... RGIII and I moved to DC at the same time.  Sure, he moved here with his new top-draft job with the Washington Redskins and I moved here with my fabulous Soldier husband and two wonderful children ... but we arrived here together.  The magic of RGIII had spread from Waco, Texas to the Nation's capitol.  How could I not be a fan?  How could I not cheer and wish him every success in his new adventure?  How, I ask you, could I not favor him and his new team?  I couldn't.  That's the answer.  I couldn't NOT cheer for him.  Tested like never before, I began to alter my view of Redskins-as-Evil and actually wish them well.

Coincidentally, a fairy-godmother-friend at Baylor called late in the NFL season to see if I had any interest at all in attending a Redskins game to cheer on our RGIII.  She just happened to have 2 season tickets that weren't being used, given to her by a local law firm who had the extra seats.  Um, YES!!  I would love to!  My sports-fan husband wasn't thrilled about cheering for the Redskins (and, for the record, he did NOT cheer for the Redskins) but was absolutely all-in for attending a local professional football game.

So that's how my husband and I found ourselves watching the Redskins beat the Eagles at FedEx Field today.  I even had my Redskins gear ... a fabulous jacket given to me by sweet friends before I left Fort Hood for Redskin Nation.  Today was a fabulous day and I was proud to cheer for RGIII and the Redskins in their win today.  HTTR!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Change of Command Ceremony

Last Friday, my Family and I participated in the 2nd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division change of command on Fort Hood, Texas.  Hubby became the battalion commander of the 3rd Battalion, 82nd Field Artillery Regiment and joined a wonderful group of "Red Dragon" Soldiers and Families.  It's a dream come true for us ... one of those things you hope in the back of your mind you'll get to do one day, but know realistically that the chances are slim you'll get to do it. When I first saw his name on 'the list' that the Army publishes, I was elated for him.  No one knows more than I do his passion for the Army and for the Soldiers in it.  He is a wonderful leader and cares so much.  We both knew that this would be the adventure of a lifetime.  We explained this new job to our two boys (ages ten and six) as best we could and they kept saying, "We'll have 500 new friends on Friday!" as their summary of the discussion.  =) The ceremony was amazing, a st

Rooftop Promotion Party at Old Ebbitt

We decided that 21+ years of military service and a promotion to Colonel warranted an extra-special celebration.  Since the promotion ceremony was at the Pentagon, we had lots of great venue options in our Nation's Capitol.  We loved living in the National Capitol Region and really wanted a very "DC" experience.  After researching and asking lots of DC expert friends, we decided on the Old Ebbitt Grill and their Rooftop Terrace. We could not have dreamed up a more amazing space.  The views are absolutely breathtaking, the staff  is professional, friendly, and accommodating, and the food is delicious.  The combination of passed hors d'oeuvres, embellishment platters, and a mini bar ensured that everyone was well-fed and able to enjoy each other and the venue.  Adding mini cupcakes from Georgetown Cupcakes topped off a delicious evening. The Rooftop provided the perfect venue for our big weekend.  Even the weather cooperated with our plans and we enjoyed a light bre

TORCH and ADVON

Photo: ADVON returning from a year-long deployment. Okay, I have to admit that after 15+ years as an Army wife, I don’t know what ‘TORCH’ and ‘ADVON’ stand for. Something about advanced party … but there’s no ‘p’ for ‘party’ … so I just don’t know. I do, however, know what it means. It means your Soldier comes home FIRST!! We’ve never had the honor of either of those designations. My husband somehow manages to get himself into the ‘stay-behind-and-make-sure-all is-well-out-here’ job and comes home late or last. Not that I’m complaining, though, as I am happy these TORCH and ADVON folks get here and get the place ready for everyone else to come home. In a way, it’s reassuring to me. The wheels are turning, the process has begun … our unit actually is coming home and coming home soon! Homecoming becomes reality, not just a long-sought-after dream. It’s good to see our unit patch and our unit Soldiers back at home, on U.S. soil and on our Army installation. It’s heartening to w