Skip to main content

Army Spouse Events: Creating Nametags

It's nearing Welcome and Farewell season in our unit again so spouses are busily planning events for incoming and outgoing ladies. A big part of one of these events is the nametag. It usually matches the theme of the evening, is generally hand-made, and encompasses everyone that RSVPs for the event (plus a few blank extras just in case someone shows up that didn't RSVP or was missed on the RSVP list). I have a dear friend who believes whole-heartedly in the "nametag of shame." If you don't RSVP, you get a substandard nametag. =) We joke that she'll just scribble your name on a post-it if you show up without an RSVP, but it's usually just a hand-written version of the pre-printed originals.  *Note here that it IS proper protocol to RSVP for every event you are invited to within 48 hours at best, but at least by the event start time.  Hosts have worked hard to make each event pleasant for their guests and it really is the least you can do to let them know if you plan to be there or not.

When I arrived at Fort Hood in 2005, a wise friend advised me to keep the invitations and nametags for the events I would attend  to have a collection of ideas and inspiration when I was tasked with planning these kinds of events myself.  It was sage advice.  I now have a folder of various nametags and have learned from the events I have attended.  Now, when it's my turn to plan, I have a place to start.  And now, dear readers, I am happy to share this collection with you.  I would love to hear about your events and see your inspirations, too!

My bag of invitations and nametags for inspiration.

This is my most recent creation ... and a collaboration of about 5 ladies working with a Cricut for the first time.  Red for artillery and black/gold for CAV and our Black Jack brigade.

This nametag was for a Bunco-themed Coffee.  Fun!

Red and gold for field artillery.

Unit name was added since I was a guest at another unit's spouses' welcome.

The addition of "Special Guest" kept people from wondering who I was in their unit.  =)

This is my favorite CAV themed nametag.  Velvet ribbon with a silver star!

Just learned how to use my Cricut, which is likely how this cute nametag was made.

Fun summer welcome event with a funky floral theme.

Cute ivy paper with the 4ID stamp and a ribbon.

This was a Farewell for a wonderful lady whose favorite drink was Diet Coke.

Truly Texas and CAV ... another favorite of mine.

Back to School theme so a simple 'chalkboard' look was used.

There's so much you can do with a Cricut machine.  Love this shape and the fun handwriting, too.

CAV theme with a wildflower touch.

This might be my all-time favorite ... a wine-themed nametag (complete with a wine cork!) for a Welcome at the Salado Wine Seller.  The green and purple were so pretty together.

This is the easiest and most popular way to make the nametag complete.  You can find these stick-on pins at most hobby and craft stores.  Try looking in the jewelry section since they can also be used for making brooches.

I learned this little trick from a friend several years ago.  She adds a metal embellishment to the front of nametags (silver star, metal brad, etc) then uses a magnet to attach the nametag.  It works great since it doesn't require a hole in clothing (like pins do).  Be sure to get the strongest magnet so that it holds throughout the event.

The plastic sleeve is my personal least-favorite way to attach the nametag (since it's not as pretty), but it works if you don't have the alternatives handy.

Comments

  1. I like your name tag ideas, I wish I had the time to be creative, I think I am going to set aside some times on Sunday afternoons for crafts like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas for name tags. I personally loathe those adhesive name tags so I've used the plastic sleeves. I never thought of making name tags from scratch. Easy and less expensive. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely nametags, I like the idea of the coke in can name tags, it would be better if you add some metals tags on it but then it's fine with me. I love all of them nice concept.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Fabulous Remarks

Popular posts from this blog

The Change of Command Ceremony

Last Friday, my Family and I participated in the 2nd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division change of command on Fort Hood, Texas.  Hubby became the battalion commander of the 3rd Battalion, 82nd Field Artillery Regiment and joined a wonderful group of "Red Dragon" Soldiers and Families.  It's a dream come true for us ... one of those things you hope in the back of your mind you'll get to do one day, but know realistically that the chances are slim you'll get to do it. When I first saw his name on 'the list' that the Army publishes, I was elated for him.  No one knows more than I do his passion for the Army and for the Soldiers in it.  He is a wonderful leader and cares so much.  We both knew that this would be the adventure of a lifetime.  We explained this new job to our two boys (ages ten and six) as best we could and they kept saying, "We'll have 500 new friends on Friday!" as their summary of the discussion.  =) The ceremony was amazing, a st

Rooftop Promotion Party at Old Ebbitt

We decided that 21+ years of military service and a promotion to Colonel warranted an extra-special celebration.  Since the promotion ceremony was at the Pentagon, we had lots of great venue options in our Nation's Capitol.  We loved living in the National Capitol Region and really wanted a very "DC" experience.  After researching and asking lots of DC expert friends, we decided on the Old Ebbitt Grill and their Rooftop Terrace. We could not have dreamed up a more amazing space.  The views are absolutely breathtaking, the staff  is professional, friendly, and accommodating, and the food is delicious.  The combination of passed hors d'oeuvres, embellishment platters, and a mini bar ensured that everyone was well-fed and able to enjoy each other and the venue.  Adding mini cupcakes from Georgetown Cupcakes topped off a delicious evening. The Rooftop provided the perfect venue for our big weekend.  Even the weather cooperated with our plans and we enjoyed a light bre

TORCH and ADVON

Photo: ADVON returning from a year-long deployment. Okay, I have to admit that after 15+ years as an Army wife, I don’t know what ‘TORCH’ and ‘ADVON’ stand for. Something about advanced party … but there’s no ‘p’ for ‘party’ … so I just don’t know. I do, however, know what it means. It means your Soldier comes home FIRST!! We’ve never had the honor of either of those designations. My husband somehow manages to get himself into the ‘stay-behind-and-make-sure-all is-well-out-here’ job and comes home late or last. Not that I’m complaining, though, as I am happy these TORCH and ADVON folks get here and get the place ready for everyone else to come home. In a way, it’s reassuring to me. The wheels are turning, the process has begun … our unit actually is coming home and coming home soon! Homecoming becomes reality, not just a long-sought-after dream. It’s good to see our unit patch and our unit Soldiers back at home, on U.S. soil and on our Army installation. It’s heartening to w