Skip to main content

​Preparing for the PMP Exam: A Lesson in Over-Preparation by Traci Cook

Everyone has their own learning style so I can only share with you what worked for me to prepare for the PMP exam ...

A couple of caveats before I share …
  1.  I am an over-preparer. I was slightly terrified to take this exam and likely spent too much money and used too many resources for a normal, non-extreme studier.
  2. I justified that I had saved thousands of dollars on a PMP boot camp due to the gracious program at Syracuse and IVMF so I spent a little more on additional resources than I likely would have normally.
  3. I learn best when I can see and hear and feel concepts presented in a variety of ways. Because of this, I like to have lots of options. Audio books, podcasts, blog posts, videos, books (printed and virtual), online courses … I go “full immersion” and use all these things to prepare.
I satisfied the 35 hours of instruction by enrolling for PMP Certification Preparation through Syracuse University's "Onward to Opportunity" program with the Institute for Veterans and Military Families (IVMF). It is a FREE program for post-911 Veterans and their families! I was very impressed with the program and very appreciative of their support of my Army-wife-transient career. They pay for the 35 hours, require three passing exams within their training to get certified, and pay for one exam. It's a great deal operated by great people. If you're eligible, please give them a try: https://ivmf.syracuse.edu/onward-to-opportunity. They offer a variety of certification programs, not just PMP, so it's definitely worth looking into.

During the 35-hour IVMF course, I created a “script” for each section by copying the course transcript and using that to follow along with the videos. I would bold, highlight, underline, or add screenshots as the videos progressed to help organize the information in my head. 

**IF you are part of the "IVMF Core," you can find these transcripts in the PMP Group on IVMFCore (https://www.ivmfcore.org/s/contentdocument/0690B000003vHgiQAE). 

I posted them one section at a time and another student consolidated them into a single document there.

At the end of each section, I would take the tests and then screenshot the questions I got wrong along with the explanation. I put these screenshots into a PowerPoint slide (just dropped each screenshot onto a new slide) and would review by flipping through those slides. I ended up doing this for most mock exams I took, including the end-of-course exams on IVMF. It was the best way for me to review information I (clearly) needed to review.

After completing the 35-hour IVMF PMP course, I gave myself a break to absorb the information. I ordered too many books, became overwhelmed by the sheer volume of study information, and fell off the PMP wagon for a bit. I went ahead and became a PMI member and submitted my application and sketched out a study plan for myself. I chose to cover one knowledge area at a time, using various resources to focus on that one area before moving on. During this “break” time, I still engaged in learning, but not at full-court press pace. I …
  • Watched portions of Joseph Phillips’ course “PMP Exam Cram Session - PMBOK Guide, 6th Edition” on Udemy.com (https://www.udemy.com/pmp-exam-cram-session-pmbok6/) for another perspective on topics I was unsure about. It’s a shorter course covering high points of studying instead of a full 35-hour course (which I already completed through IVMF) so that appealed to me. The course was $9.99 and I liked having that additional resource.
  • Watched YouTube videos for (yet another) perspective on various topics. Some I really liked included videos from ExamsPM and Ricardo Vargas:
  • Listened to a PMP Prep podcast in the car to and from work
    • Conversations on the PMP Exam 6th Edition by Louis Alderman … This is a playlist I found on Google Play. It is conversational in nature with several PMP experts (Andy Crowe, Bill Yates, Louis Alderman) discussing various aspects of the exam. This is the first one I listened to and it was an easy listen; its goal being to get you in the mindset for the exam.
Once I scheduled my exam, I went full immersion for 6 weeks before the exam date. Here is what I did …
  • Listened to audiobooks in the car and when I had free time waiting in line somewhere (I have a subscription to audible so I would use my points to get free books to listen to). I liked:
    • Simple PMP Exam Guide by Phil Martin (I started with this one; it was conversational and I could listen casually)
    • Simple PMP PMBOK Quiz by Phil Martin (this one is more focused on basics and definitions so it's a good place to start with exam questions; the other two – listed below – helped me more with exam prep)
    • PMP Study Guide* by Gino Nazoroff
    • PMP Exam Prep* by Andrew Ramdayal
*These two audiobooks were a series of scenario based questions and answers. The narrator reads a question, gives you four possible answers and then gives the right answer along with an explanation. I found this helpful to get into 'test' mode.
  • Read PMP books on my Kindle during down-time and usually before falling asleep at night. I have Kindle Unlimited so I searched for free books on PMP and liked these:
    • Ace Your PMP Exam series by Shiv Shenoy (a series of 12 different books covering all parts of the PMP exam)
    • PMP EXAM Simplified by Aileen Ellis -- She also has some great books that include 50+ questions and solutions for the PMP:
      • How to Get Every Network Diagram Question Right on the PMP Exam
      • How to Get Every Contract Calculation Question Right on the PMP Exam
      • How to Get Every Earned Value Management Question Right on the PMP Exam
    • Read and Pass Notes for PMP Exams by Maneesh Vijaya (this is my favorite PMP Kindle book; he adds his own scratch notes and drawings that just worked for me. I like his writing style and his explanations helped clear up some confusion for me.)
  • Utilized the PMPrepcast Elite course practice exams by Cornelius Fichtner

I liked his explanations – and his accent – and highly recommend this program. The BIGGEST benefit was the practice exams which is the primary reason I chose it. The questions were the most similar to the actual exam of any I have seen (although they were more difficult than the actual exam in my opinion). After passing the exam, I feel like this was the best preparation tool I utilized outside of the actual coursework that taught me the content. I chose PrepCast Elite (at $299) for the exam simulator.
  • Enrolled in Shiv Shenoy’s PMP Exam ‘Last Mile’ Prep for PMBOK-6

It was $147 well spent for me. He has emails, online lessons, mock exams, a Facebook group, and online books that are all available once you’ve enrolled. You can also opt for a $67/month rate if you’ll only be using the course for a month or less.
  • Studied daily
    • I started with the PMBOK and used it as my study guide. I would read and highlight a chapter (highlighting helped me focus on the information) and then create a 4x6 notecard with main points. For each knowledge area, I had a card with the definition and key benefits on the front and the ITTOs on the back. Writing down the information helped me see patterns and understand the processes without trying to memorize all the ITTOs.
    • After reading the PMBOK chapter, I would read the corresponding chapter in Andy Crowe’s How to Pass the PMP Exam On Your First Try ($65) and complete the book’s practice exam. I wrote my answers in my PMP notebook and would write out the answers to questions I missed.
    • Once I completed that exam, I would read the corresponding chapter in Joseph Phillips’ PMP Project Management Professional Study Guide, Fifth Edition ($35) and complete the practice exam from that book, again using my PMP notebook and writing out answers to questions I missed. Note that this is the 5th edition of HIS book but it is focused on the PMBOK 6th edition.
Oh, and in the tradition of full-disclosure, here are the other books (which are excellent!) that I purchased and then gave away because it was all too much. They are good resources but don’t be like me and order too many books. One (maybe two if you’re neurotic as I am) is plenty.
  • Head First PMP: A Learner’s Companion to Passing the Project Management Professional Exam, 4th Edition by Jennifer Greene and Andrew Stellman
  • PMP: Project Management Professional Exam Study Guide, 9th edition by Kim Heldman
  • PMP Exam Prep: Accelerated Learning to Pass the Project Management Professional (PMP) Exam, 9th edition by Rita Mulcahy (This seems to be a very popular choice for most PMP prospects. I found it to be slightly confusing as I couldn’t match up her terminology and processes directly to the PMBOK. Her tone was a little harsh for me, too, but I’m an extreme feeler so most people probably wouldn’t even notice this.)
So that's what I've got. I passed the exam on my first try on 3 June 2019 and am sure that I over-prepared. In retrospect, I think that once you've mastered the concepts, taking practice exams is the best way to prepare for the actual exam. Register for the exam when you feel ready, but don't wait too long ... you don't want to forget what you've learned while brushing up on what is difficult for you.

I wish you all the best and hope this long, complicated post has helped in some way! Thanks for reading.

:) Traci



Comments

  1. Hi,

    Very detailed and informative article. Preparing for PMP Certification Dumps You should add "takethiscourse.net", they have CSM Exam Questions which will helps you to pass CSM Exam in first attempt. It will be very helpful and effective for everyone preparing for CSM Certification Exams.

    The majorly, they also have Free PMP PREP Courses for better practice for PMP Exam Questions.

    Regards,

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really very impressive guide of valve selection which can be very helpful for many industry people. Thanks for sharing this valve selection tips. illinois standard health employee application for small employers Nice Website. You should think more about RSS Feeds as a traffic source. They bring me a nice bit of traffic

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really know your stuff... Keep up the good work! Visit my site, heritage house of keller health & rehabilitation center Great work buddy, keep it up... thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your study notes some really insightful tips that can help people learn and pass the exam. What might help your readers further is the pmp study plan and calendar to help identify tasks they need to complete/study before the exam

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is critical to obtain information from others. If there is a lot of demand for a certain shampoo, it means that people enjoy the brand's effectiveness. In other words, the ideal option is a detox shampoo with a lot of positive feedback. However, you should be wary of deceptive evaluations that may lead to a poor decision. It is essential to select long-lasting products regardless of the time frame for the test. When a product is durable, it indicates that it was designed with care, which could indicate high-quality products.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s one of the best blog I have came through . Cremation service agency in Louisville, KY provides funeral, Burial memorial, aftercare, pre-planning, and cremation services to our community and the surrounding areas.
    pre-planned funeral

    ReplyDelete
  8. PMP ONLINE COURSE

    PMP Online Training Benefits For Obtaining Your PMP visit our blog to know more-PMP ONLINE COURSE

    ReplyDelete
  9. The PMP course provides managers with the latest information on Project Management norms and practices-VISIT OUR WEBSITE

    pmp Certification

    ReplyDelete

  10. It is essential to determine if the course counts as ‘formal’ education. You also need to find a training company that meets your needs and one that you would like to work with.
    PMPEXAM

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Fabulous Remarks

Popular posts from this blog

The Change of Command Ceremony

Last Friday, my Family and I participated in the 2nd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division change of command on Fort Hood, Texas.  Hubby became the battalion commander of the 3rd Battalion, 82nd Field Artillery Regiment and joined a wonderful group of "Red Dragon" Soldiers and Families.  It's a dream come true for us ... one of those things you hope in the back of your mind you'll get to do one day, but know realistically that the chances are slim you'll get to do it. When I first saw his name on 'the list' that the Army publishes, I was elated for him.  No one knows more than I do his passion for the Army and for the Soldiers in it.  He is a wonderful leader and cares so much.  We both knew that this would be the adventure of a lifetime.  We explained this new job to our two boys (ages ten and six) as best we could and they kept saying, "We'll have 500 new friends on Friday!" as their summary of the discussion.  =) The ceremony was amazing, a st

Rooftop Promotion Party at Old Ebbitt

We decided that 21+ years of military service and a promotion to Colonel warranted an extra-special celebration.  Since the promotion ceremony was at the Pentagon, we had lots of great venue options in our Nation's Capitol.  We loved living in the National Capitol Region and really wanted a very "DC" experience.  After researching and asking lots of DC expert friends, we decided on the Old Ebbitt Grill and their Rooftop Terrace. We could not have dreamed up a more amazing space.  The views are absolutely breathtaking, the staff  is professional, friendly, and accommodating, and the food is delicious.  The combination of passed hors d'oeuvres, embellishment platters, and a mini bar ensured that everyone was well-fed and able to enjoy each other and the venue.  Adding mini cupcakes from Georgetown Cupcakes topped off a delicious evening. The Rooftop provided the perfect venue for our big weekend.  Even the weather cooperated with our plans and we enjoyed a light bre

TORCH and ADVON

Photo: ADVON returning from a year-long deployment. Okay, I have to admit that after 15+ years as an Army wife, I don’t know what ‘TORCH’ and ‘ADVON’ stand for. Something about advanced party … but there’s no ‘p’ for ‘party’ … so I just don’t know. I do, however, know what it means. It means your Soldier comes home FIRST!! We’ve never had the honor of either of those designations. My husband somehow manages to get himself into the ‘stay-behind-and-make-sure-all is-well-out-here’ job and comes home late or last. Not that I’m complaining, though, as I am happy these TORCH and ADVON folks get here and get the place ready for everyone else to come home. In a way, it’s reassuring to me. The wheels are turning, the process has begun … our unit actually is coming home and coming home soon! Homecoming becomes reality, not just a long-sought-after dream. It’s good to see our unit patch and our unit Soldiers back at home, on U.S. soil and on our Army installation. It’s heartening to w